I had the honour of opening up the Highland Fling with a short sharp keynote on the history of progressive enhancement. As always, I enjoyed presenting though I’m not sure if the silence emanating from the audience was due to rapt attention or boredom. Once the audio is available, you can decide for yourself.
I’ll get the audio transcribed as usual. In the meantime, there isn’t much point offering up the slides as they don’t contain much information. Instead I’ll list out some of the things that I mentioned in the talk.
Music and books
- Le Sacre du Printemps (The Rite of Spring) by Igor Stravinsky
- Pattern Recognition by William Gibson
- Metaphors We Live By by George Lakoff and Mark Johnson
- Why I Write by George Orwell
- 1984 by George Orwell
- Babel-17 by Samuel R. Delaney
- Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson
- The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins
- The Meme Machine by Susan Blackmore