The State of the Web — the links
I wrote about preparing this talk and you can see the outline on Kinopio. I thought it turned out well, but I never actually know until people see it. So I’m very gratified and relieved that it went down very well indeed. Phew!
Eric and the gang at An Event Apart asked for a round-up of links related to this talk and I was more than happy to oblige. I’ve separated them into some of the same categories that the talk covers.
I know that these look like a completely disconnected grab-bag of concepts—you’d have to see the talk to get the connections. But even without context, these are some rabbit holes you can dive down…
- Earthrise by Emmanuel Vaughan-Lee on Vimeo, 2018.
- Earthrise by Amanda Gorman on YouTube, 2018.
- They Saw Earth From Space. Here’s How It Changed Them by Nadia Drake in National Geographic, 2018.
- Seeing the Whole Earth from Space Changed Everything by Ahmed Kabil for The Long Now Foundation, 2018.
- As We May Think by Vannevar Bush in The Atlantic Monthly, 1945.
- The Demo by Douglas Engelbart, 1968.
- Information Management: A Proposal by Tim Berners-Lee, 1989.
The World Wide Web
- proposed new tag: IMG by Marc Andreessen to www-talk, 1993.
- What is a Polyfill? by Remy Sharp, 2010.
- Stop solving problems you don’t yet have by Rachel Andrew, 2012.
- Re: More granularity for font-weight? by Håkon Wium Lie to www-style, 2015.
- Clean advertising on adactio.com, 2020.
- 2021 Predictions for UX and Front-End Experts (PDF) by Ire Aderinokun et al. for An Event Apart, 2021.
- Poppy Northcutt: The Woman Who Took Us to the Stars by Apriya Rai, 2020.
- Katherine Johnson Biography by Margot Lee Shetterly, 2020.
- Margaret Hamilton interview by Zoë Corbyn in The Guardian, 2019.