Link archive: November 12th, 2020
James has penned a sweeping arc from the The Mechanical Turk, Sesame Street, and Teletubbies to Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube.
Principles behind the design of web APIs:
- Put user needs first (Priority of Constituencies)
- It should be safe to visit a web page
- Trusted user interface should be trustworthy
- Ask users for meaningful consent when appropriate
- Support the full range of devices and platforms (Media Independence)
I should add these to my collection.
Good news: as of May 2021, page speed (or core web vitals, if you must) will be a ranking factor in Google Search.
Even better news: at the same time, Google AMP will lose its unfairly privileged position in the top stories carousel. Hopefully this marks the beginning of the end for Google’s failed experiment in forcing publishers to use their tech.
Another alternative to Google Analytics—nice and lightweight too!
- First impressions
- The Tab key
- Automated testing tools
- Screen reader testing
- Next steps