I love the way Guillaume Kurkdjian uses animation here to demonstrate how these gadgets from the ’90s would work.
A ludicrously deep dive by Nolan into how scrolling works in web browsers. No, wait, come back! It’s more interesting than it sounds …and it certainly isn’t as simple as you might think.
For instance, do you know the difference between the following scenarios?
- User scrolls with two fingers on a touch pad
- User scrolls with one finger on a touch screen
- User scrolls with a mouse wheel on a physical mouse
- User clicks the sidebar and drags it up and down
- User presses up, down, PageUp, PageDown, or spacebar keys on a keyboard
If you ask the average web user (or even the average web developer!) they might tell you that these interactions are all equivalent. The truth is far more interesting.
This comes complete with lovely animated illustrations by Rachel.
A new media query that will help prevent you making your users hurl.
Tom describes his Foursquare ghost.
A wonderful short story by Matt Webb, who is clearly still thinking about movement (his theme from Web Directions North earlier this year).