Saturday, March 10th, 2018
Friday, January 12th, 2018
Wednesday, November 15th, 2017
A collection of publicly available design systems, pattern libraries, and interface guidelines.
Monday, October 23rd, 2017
I love what Ben is doing with this single-serving site (similar to my design principles collection)—it’s a collection of handy links and resources around voice UI:
Designing a voice interface? Here’s a useful list of lists: as many guiding principles as we could find, all in one place. List compiled and edited by Ben Sauer @bensauer.
BONUS ITEM: Have him run a voice workshop for you!
Sunday, August 20th, 2017
- Do not depend on color
- Do not block zoom
- Rediscover the alt attribute
- Add subtitles and captions to your videos
- Semantics = accessibility
- Use the right mark-up
- Use roles when necessary
- On hiding elements
- Follow web accessibility standards
- Audit and review
Sunday, August 6th, 2017
A series of questions to ask on any design project:
- What are my lenses?
- Am I just confirming my assumptions, or am I challenging them?
- What details here are unfair? Unverified? Unused?
- Am I holding onto something that I need to let go of?
- What’s here that I designed for me? What’s here that I designed for other people?
- What would the world look like if my assumptions were wrong?
- Who might disagree with what I’m designing?
- Who might be impacted by what I’m designing?
- What do I believe?
- Who’s someone I’m nervous to talk to about this?
- Is my audience open to change?
- What am I challenging as I create this?
- How can I reframe a mistake in a way that helps me learn?
- How does my approach to this problem today compare to how I might have approached this one year ago?
- If I could learn one thing to help me on this project, what would that one thing be?
- Do I need to slow down?
Tuesday, June 6th, 2017
A style guide for voice interfaces.
Thursday, July 21st, 2016
I’m not a fan of the checklist approach to accessibility, but this checklist of checklists makes for a handy starting point and it’s segmented by job role. Tick all the ones that apply to you, and this page will generate a list for you to copy and paste.
Tuesday, February 24th, 2015
The minimum dependency for a web site should be an internet connection and the ability to parse HTML.
Thursday, January 8th, 2015
Tuesday, August 19th, 2014
Harry has written down his ideas and recommendations for writing CSS.
Monday, July 7th, 2014
Words of wisdom from Scott on the clash of brand guidelines and the flexible nature of the web:
One thing I am pretty sure of though, is that having a fast, accessible, user-friendly site can reflect incredibly well on a company, and I’d love to see more guidelines and expectations that prioritize these aspects of a service as branding requirements in addition to the usual visual details.
Wednesday, July 25th, 2012
This is an important subject (and one very close to my heart) so I’m very glad to see these data protection guidelines nailed to the wall of the web over at Contents Magazine.
- Treat our data like it matters.
- No upload without download.
- If you close a system, support data rescue.
Tuesday, September 13th, 2011
A handy set of guidelines from Brad Frost. It’s still a work in progress but it’s got some good tips for mobile design and development.
Monday, December 27th, 2010
Paul has created a site for tracking usage of the BBC’s GEL (Global Experience Language) visual design language. Nice’n’responsive it is too.
Friday, April 30th, 2010
A very detailed set of coding standards and guidelines.
Monday, June 29th, 2009
Beyond the personal annual report; it's the personal brand identity guidelines.
Monday, November 3rd, 2008
WCAG 2.0 has just entered proposed recommendation status. What a long strange trip it's been.
Sunday, August 31st, 2008
A good list of interface guidelines based on real world experience with a mobile phone, an music player and an operating system.
Sunday, April 6th, 2008
Gareth is putting some wisdom of crowds behind the design of APIs. Vote on the principles that you think are important in a good API.