I got a message from a screen-reader user of The Session recently, letting me know of a problem they were having. I love getting any kind of feedback around accessibility, so this was like gold dust to me.
They pointed out that the drag’n’drop interface for rearranging the order of tunes in a set was inaccessible.
Of course! I slapped my forehead. How could I have missed this?
It had been a while since I had implemented that functionality, so before even looking at the existing code, I started to think about how I could improve the situation. Maybe I could capture keystroke events from the arrow keys and announce changes via ARIA values? That sounded a bit heavy-handed though: mess with people’s native keyboard functionality at your peril.
Then I looked at the code. That was when I realised that the fix was going to be much, much easier than I thought.
I documented my process of adding the drag’n’drop functionality back in 2016. Past me had his progressive enhancement hat on:
One of the interfaces needed for this feature was a form to re-order items in a list. So I thought to myself, “what’s the simplest technology to enable this functionality?” I came up with a series of
select elements within a form.
The problem was in my feature detection:
There’s a little bit of mustard-cutting going on: does the
dragula object exist, and does the browser understand
querySelector? If so, the
select elements are hidden and the drag’n’drop is enabled.
The logic was fine, but the execution was flawed. I was being lazy and hiding the
select elements with
display: none. That hides them visually, but it also hides them from screen readers. I swapped out that style declaration for one that visually hides the elements, but keeps them accessible and focusable.
It was a very quick fix. I had the odd sensation of wanting to thank Past Me for making things easy for Present Me. But I don’t want to talk about time travel because if we start talking about it then we’re going to be here all day talking about it, making diagrams with straws.
I pushed the fix, told the screen-reader user who originally contacted me, and got a reply back saying that everything was working great now. Success!