Saturday, August 1st, 2020
Friday, November 17th, 2017
In the immortal words of Ultravox,
this means nothing to me.
I’m filing this away for my future self for the next time I (inevitably) get confused about what
Sunday, October 4th, 2015
I absolutely love the way that my archive is presented here. Matt and Hannah have set the bar in how to shut down a service in an honest, dignified way.
Monday, August 10th, 2015
It’s a real shame that Hannah and Matt are shutting down This Is My Jam—it’s such a lovely little service—but their reliance on ever-changing third-party APIs sounds like no fun, and the way they’re handling the shutdown is exemplary: the site is going into read-only mode, and of course all of your data is exportable.
Yahoo, Google, and other destroyers could learn a thing or two from this—things like “dignity” and “respect”.
Tuesday, July 22nd, 2014
Thursday, December 26th, 2013
That was my jam
Looking back through my jams, I thought that they made for nice little snapshots of the year.
- : Meat Abstract by Therapy? …because apparently I had a dream about Therapy?
- : Jubilee Street by Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds …because I had just been to the gig/rehearsal that Jessica earned us tickets to. That evening was definitely a musical highlight of the year.
- : Atlanta Lie Low by Robert Forster …because I was in Atlanta for An Event Apart.
- : Larsen B by British Sea Power …because I had just seen them play a gig (on their Brighton home turf) and this was the song they left us with.
- : Tramp The Dirt Down by Elvis Costello …because it was either this or Ding Dong, The Witch Is Dead! (or maybe Margaret In A Guillotine). I had previously “jammed” it in August 2012, saying “Elvis Costello (Davy Spillane, Donal Lunny, and Steve Wickham) in 1989. Still waiting.”
- : It’s A Shame About Ray by The Lemonheads …because Ray Harryhausen died.
- : Summertime In England by Van Morrison …because it was a glorious Summer’s day and this was playing on the stereo in the coffee shop I popped into for my morning flat white.
- : Spaceteam by 100 Robots …because Jim borrowed my space helmet for the video.
- : Higgs Boson Blues by Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds …because this was stuck in my head the whole time I was at hacking at CERN (most definitely a highlight of 2013).
- : Hey, Manhattan by Prefab Sprout …because I was in New York.
- : Pulsar by Vangelis …because I was writing about Jocelyn Bell Burnell.
- : Romeo Had Juliette by Lou Reed …because Lou Reed died, and also: this song is pure poetry.
I like This Is My Jam. On the one hand, it’s a low-maintenance little snippet of what’s happening right now. On the other hand, it makes for a lovely collage over time.
Or, as Matt put it back in 2010:
We’ve all been so distracted by The Now that we’ve hardly noticed the beautiful comet tails of personal history trailing in our wake.
Without deliberate planning, we have created amazing new tools for remembering. The real-time web might just be the most elaborate and widely-adopted architecture for self-archival ever created.
Tuesday, December 18th, 2012
This is simply wonderful! Get all of your This Is My Jam songs condensed down into one mix.
Here are all my song choices from 2012 compressed into three minutes. I love it!
Thursday, November 11th, 2010
A great piece on the golden age of radio ...which is right now.
Friday, September 28th, 2007
Faceball on Channel 4. Too weird.
Saturday, March 3rd, 2007
Paul's voice has been sampled from his this'n'that magic trick and used for this stop-motion animation. Brilliant! I <3 mashup culture.